Monday, September 15, 2014

My little warrior


We just got back from the beach. We had a blast with family and friends! We are so thankful for amazing family who took care of our kiddos the second half of the vacation so we could have time with friends! 


This picture struck me when I saw it. We always call Miller a "little warrior." It's simply a part of who he is (and probably all little boys). 


Look at him trying to do some serious damage to the splash pad! Nothing could stop him! 
Embarrassingly, when a new little boy entered the splash pad, Miller was so "in the zone" that he gave that little boy "the look."
Lee noticed and quickly said "Miller, that's your new friend. Go tell him hello!" 
Miller walked over to the boy and instead of saying hello, Miller "bowed up" at the little boy. (I can't believe I just told that on the blog 😊) true life. 
Lee shouted, "MILLER!" 
And before we could blink our son was running and playing again. (Sigh) 

One night on the beach we took the kids crab hunting. Miller was thrilled. He had his net and bucket and was sprinting through the condo with utter excitement. 

Then we got down to the beach. 

In a distance, lightening flashed and you could hear the sound of thunder. It was far away so we knew we were safe. 

But Miller was terrified. 

He hates storms, y'all. Like "crawl under the covers, plug his ears, close his eyes and cry" hates storms. 

His joy turned to utter fear. 

He wanted to go back into the condo... Now! 

But everyone else continued on crab hunting as if the lightening and thunder wasn't even in existence. 

I knew I had two options. 
1) take him back into the condo
2) help him face his fear

I chose the latter.
 But I decided to do it in a gentle way, not in a condesending "suck it up and come on" kind of way. 

I grabbed his hand, picked him up and explained to him that we were safe from the storm. I even tried to pull the whole "isn't it pretty?" card but he didn't buy that. 

I then said, "do you want me to pray for you?" He said yes and I whispered a short prayer over him. 

I wish the story ended with me saying that they prayer filled him with courage and he went on crab hunting with the storm in the background. 

But that's not the way our night ended. 

Instead, he clung tightly to my hand and walked everywhere that I went. He didn't let go for a second. At times I could even feel him shaking a little because he was so afraid. 

But he didn't cry.
He didn't demand his way. 

When we finally returned to the condominium (literally as soon as we walked through the doors), Miller grabbed both my legs and began hugging me as tight as he could. 

He looked up at me and said, "Mommy, now I'm so happy!!!" 

My sister-in-law and I just laughed and smiled. It was the sweetest scene because that boy was indeed so happy and thankful to be back indoors. 

So why did I blog this story? 

This part of our beach trip has stuck out in my mind. 

Miller trusts me because he knows I love him. He trusts me to feed, clothe, and bathe him. He trusts me in so many areas of life. 

However, his trust in me waivered when walking with me meant facing one of his greatest fears. 

Instead, he wanted to tuck tail and run. 
He desired to return to comfort and security. 

I am just like him in my walk with Christ. 
I trust Jesus in so many areas, but when He calls me out upon the waters to unknown and scary places, my trust waivers. 

I often tuck tail and run. 

I refuse to step out of the boat. 

Jesus I trust that you will provide for me but you want me to do what?? To give how much?? To live where?? To surrender what?? 
To adopt from Africa?? 

Luke 9:23-24
"Then He said to them all. "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it." 

Jesus, don't you see the lightening and hear the thunder? I can't possibly walk out there! 

Proverbs 3:5
"Trust in The Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding." 

I doubt because I don't trust.
I fear because I don't trust. 

The interesting thing about that particular splash pad was that it was fenced in. It was protected. It was also running on a censor so we could activate it whenever we wanted. So much of the splash pad can be controlled. 

My little boy is a warrior on the splash pad! 

But at the end of this life, being a warrior on the splash pad amounts to nothing. It is a chasing after the wind. 

I desire for Miller to be a warrior in the spiritual realm. I pray that he is dangerous for the kingdom of God. 

It is hard for a child to navigate unchartered territory. I pray that Lee and I would learn to trust God in all areas of life. To step out upon the waters. To face fears and conquer giants. As our trust in The Lord increases, His name will be magnified. 

Don't be a warrior on the adult splash pad! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments!